If you want something bad enough you will make it happen. Making excuses is just a way of admitting it’s not for me. From buying a new pair of shoes to purchasing a one way ticket to Australia, if we really desire something, we will make it our reality.
Once we have decided we want to jet off around the world; be it for a weekend, a week or a year, what do we do next?
Well, we get the ball rolling.
It doesn’t have to be a life changing choice like bidding goodbye to your family, quitting your job or selling your house. It can be if that is what you want – but it could be simpler.
See, if you can take all your annual leave in one go; ask for unpaid holiday, make the most of your weekends.
So now you have a chunk of time and a rough idea of dates. A hard choice comes next. Out of the 195 countries in the world, where do you want to go? There is so much to see and do that it can feel daunting. Remind yourself that wherever you go and whatever you do, you will have an incredible experience.
Make a spider diagram of some ideas. Depending on the time of year, some destinations are better than others. I think it is best not to over-stretch yourself. It is better to explore one region and take in everything rather than trying to tick off 5 countries in one month and not fully see them.
I always knew that my next destination would be India. I love yoga, am fascinated by religion and want to learn more about emerging economies. Besides, my best friend is Indian. She taught me how to cook Indian curries, showed me the wonders of Bollywood dancing and demonstrated to me yoga breathing techniques and listening to mantras together.
However, if you are undecided, do a Google search on the best places to visit in month x for your desired activity (be it hiking in the mountains, relaxing on beaches or learning a new language). Read travel bogs, magazines and talk to other travellers with similar interests.
Here is my step by step guide to Planning an Adventure of a Lifetime:
- Plan a time to go (what month will you have time off to go and how long will you be going for?)
- Chose a destination (in month x where is the best hiking destination or surfing region?)
- Book flights (take the plunge and book the flights)
- Visas (apply for a travel visa)
- Travel injections (do you need to get any jabs or malaria tablets?)
- Accommodation (it is not necessary to plan every night. It might be a nice idea to plan your first night in a new place, after this you can improvise)
- Pack (check out my guide on what to bring)
- Jet off into the unknown and enjoy.