What better way to spend a cold, grey, winter weekend than warming up at a luxurious spa.
There are many accommodation options across the UK and some great bargains can be found on the following websites:
- Last Minute Spa Breaks
- Alternatively book a night at a hotel and go to a nearby leisure center for some treatments (may work out cheaper).
I recently returned from a weekend away in Stratford Upon Avon. Not only does the area hold a wealth of fascinating history, it is also home to some stunning scenery and luxurious spas.
Stratford Upon Avon was the home to Shakespeare and currently holds spectacular plays a the Royal Shakespeare Company. With 2.5 million tourists visiting Stratford Upon Avon a year – be sure to book your theater tickets well in advance.
Walk along the canal, mooch around the vintage shops and enjoy a hot beverage in one of the quirky tea-rooms.
We stayed in the Macdonald Aveston Hotel and Spa which is gorgeous. Its stunning exterior an lovely grounds provided the perfect environment to relax in.
The stay cost £159 per person, this included: one twin room, a three course dinner, one hour spa treatment, buffet breakfast and access to the spa + gym. For someone who is used to paying £5-£10 per night for hostels this is a lot of money. With this in mind I have compiled a list of pros and snobby cons. It is only fair when forking out one gets their moneys worth.
- Great hour long stress relief full body massage.
- Relaxation room for before + after treatments is very comfortable with magazines + lots of herble tea.
- Sauna, steam room and pool is clean, not too busy and a good size.
- Well equipped gym.
- Extremely tasty three course dinner (lots of choice + divine chocolate torte for pud)
- Great dinner table service.
- No conditioner in the rooms or spa (only shampoo).
- Had to pay £5 for parking (not included in the price of the stay).
- Had to queue for a seat at breakfast (very busy).
- Only a few tea bags in the room.
Nowhere is perfect but those few niggles were not apparent in other spas I have been to. For example Champneys (Tring). However, that was on another league (costing considerably more.) The differences being in the small details.
Champneys has stunning grounds and a superb outdoor Jacuzzi. While it is pricey – the service is flawless.
If in doubt make sure to read reviews before booking your spa weekend and make sure prices include using the pool, all spa facilities and parking.
Most importantly, enjoy, relax and pamper.
Where is your favorite UK Spa?